The other day, I felt like a failure of a mother. I can't control my own kid! But... I have to remember that he has a mind of his own and I won't always be able to control his behavior or the words he says. It was easier when he was littler and acted so sweet and innocent almost all of the time. I'm not ready to be a parent of a 4 and 1/2 year old! Well, I'm ready, but apparently not very well prepared. I guess Caleb will just have to be the guinea pig like all first-borns. I'll probably make some mistakes along the way. (Hopefully nothing too serious! haha) Someone reminded me that Caleb is a pretty good kid most of the time so I must be doing something right. He just seems to act up so much when I'm around that I tend to see the not so angelic side of my little guy.
I've been trying to pray a lot more for my children and also for my parenting. It seems to help a little, but at the end of the day, I still feel like pulling out my hair!
Does anyone have some good ideas to reinforce positive behavior / discipline? I feel like I've tried everything. Maybe I'm lacking consistency with enforcing our current "policies". Either that or I need to try something new and start from scratch.
Well, that's my rant for the moment. Sonya has been teething lately and just whines a lot throughout the day so that probably doesn't help my sanity much. Thank goodness she is taking a morning nap today! I better get a few things done while she's sleeping! Over and out!
3 comments:
Hey Michelle
I know when our little ones act up it can be hard. As for discipline try to just stick to your guns. Come up with a plan ahead of with Tim and both of you sit down and go over it with your sweet boy. That way he knows that you guys mean bussiness. Then stick to it. Even if it doesn't seem to be working. If after a good amount of time if it is truly not working then sit back down with Tim and look at what can be changed.
Keep up the praying it really helps. Try to adding in prayers for yourself about how you are dealing with your child's behavior.
Know too that we are all praying for you.
I'm realizing I need to pray more for my parenting and wisdom and guidance!
A great way to reinforce positive behavior- and something I've been testing with Ava- is totally ignoring and not giving eye-contact for the negative behaviors and as soon as she does something right, I give lots of praise and squeezes. She truly loves to please us, but sometimes she does naughty things because she knows that she'll get attention for them. Especially when I have my little 3 month old boy I babysit with us.
Of course, she is starting the hitting phase, so she gets an automatic time out in her "time out" stool for that. But sometimes, I swear she hits me just so I'll pick her up and put her in the chair. (she giggles when I pick her up) So I've started grabbing her hand and making her walk to the stool herself.
Although Ava is 3 years younger than Caleb, I really feel you because she is so sassy, and defiant, but I often feel like it's JUST me that she is that way for. She's an angel for her babysitter and everyone else...even daddy!
*sigh
So I totally wrote a response here yesterday, but I must've forgotten to do something and it didn't end up posting. oops!
Anyway, I just wanted to say that I'm constantly praying for patience and the more I pray, the more opportunities God gives me to practice that patience. lol...
Jenny, don't worry. You're a good mom. We all have troubles with our kids. We can't expect them to be angels all the time. You can tell when they're in a comfortable environment if they're acting up. Most kids tend to be good for teachers and relatives, but when it comes to being around the people they see all the time, they don't feel like they have to hide all their emotions inside. It's normal... even if it isn't fun.
Thanks for the prayers and support. I think all moms need it every now and again. :-)
Post a Comment