Saturday, March 5, 2011

House Poll

Which house do you think is worth more?

House A:
- 3 bed, 1.5 bath
- fenced in yard
- located across the street from an elementary school
- new roof
- half-finished basement = rec room/computer room

House B:
- 3 bed, 1.5 bath (plus 3/4 bath in lower level)
- new windows
- new furnace
- remodeled kitchen and bathrooms
- ceiling fans and big closets in bedrooms
- near Interurban Bike Trail

Tough decision....
When there are at least 5 responses, I'll reveal which one has the higher asking price. Have fun!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm... I'm not sure but I pick House B :) Remodeled kitchen and bathrooms are wonderful!! :)

Sandy said...

Well, my instincts honed from watching hours and hours of HGTV tell me that the remodeled kitchen and furnace make House B more valuable, while being near the school drives down the value of House A. On the other hand, House A has the partially-finished basement, and more finished square footage = greater value.

I suppose that in the end I would guess that House B is worth more.

Meanwhile, good luck on your house hunt! This must be such an exciting time for you and your family.

Charlyn said...

House B sounds nicer, but I like the fenced in yard and elementary school of house A for convenience - and it sounds nice too.

Sorry. I'm on the fence! So I guess I would pick the cheaper one.

Sandy said...

Oh course, I will put in the disclaimer that my above guesses about the monetary value of the house don't necessarily indicate anything at all about the value that the house may have for your family that you can't measure in dollars. But I'm sure you already know that. :)

Unknown said...

House B I agree.

Jenny Clements said...

I say house B. Newer windows and furnace are huge along with updated kitchen and bath! Plus an extra bathroom would be nice! We have a 3 bed 1.5 bath and sometimes I wish we had an extra shower or tub. As long as B has a cement floor basement, you could always clean an area of it up, lay down some carpet squares, and still make it a temporary play area!

While living across from elementary school would be appealing, it'll be noisy with traffic during drop-off and pick-up times.

If you can afford it, go with the one that will cost you less out of pocket expenses in the next 5-10 years. Not having to update or fix something unappealing is wonderful. Not to mention that a new furnace will save you lots of money.

Yes, I say B.

Now, let's see some MLS pictures :)

Nikolai Family said...

The funny thing is that both houses are listed at the same price. Well, house B is $900 more, but that's negligible. We'd probably offer less on "A" if that's the choice we wanted. It's a toss up. Thanks for all the input! We've been going back and forth on both houses and can't seem to make up our mind. I wish we could move house B onto the house A property. :-)

The Bailie Clan said...

oh no way! you're looking at the one by lincoln!!! we thought it was too high in price to even look at. i hope you get a good deal whatever you choose...i don't think i know B....

soo exciting!