Tuesday, September 7, 2010

First day as a Stay-at-Home Mom

Ok... so first day on the job as a stay-at-home mom. Is it everything I've hoped for? Well, Caleb was crabby this morning and didn't want to get up right away. Sonya wasn't wanting to eat her morning cereal and started gagging on it so we skipped that to try again later. Next on the agenda: dropping Caleb off at the Y for his second day of 4K. He didn't even say goodbye to me. :-( I came home half-expecting to feed Sonya and have her nap all morning while I got lots of things done --  like she did last week for me. Guess what? That didn't happen. She finally fell asleep about 15-20 minutes before we needed to leave to pick up her brother from school.

We got home again and little mister didn't want to eat lunch and went straight to his room and laid in bed. I don't know if he was really tired or not, but finally convinced him that he needed to eat. So we had lunch and read a few books. Without prompting, Caleb went to take a nap while I was stuck with a very wide-awake little girl. She only napped for about 20 minutes again this afternoon. Gosh, I'm ready for my own nap. Why won't she sleep? I think she's teething -- those little pearly whites are ready to make an appearance soon!

Overall, I know that it's not going to be easy.  --  Even though I'm not getting paid in dollars or cents, it's still a full time position. My new job description:

I'm a mentor and a teacher.
A coach and chauffeur.
I'm nurse and librarian.
Some days: the barber.

I'm a mother and a wife.
I'm a daughter and a friend.
I'm a chef. I'm a maid.
The list never ends.

Being at home all the time will be physically draining especially with a 6 1/2 month old that just wants to go and demands my attention while my little 4 year old boy is trying my every nerve while developing his independence.  I'll probably have some days where I wish I could just be at work to escape the mayhem. Well, maybe I'll have moments like that every day. No matter what, this is way better than being away from my kids for 10.5 hours a day and letting the daycare raise them for me. Is it all worth it? I think so.

4 comments:

Frankie said...

Being a SAHM IS the hardest job ever. But, it is also the most rewarding. I am so grateful that I was able to be here for my kids. I thought that I could get a job in the real world once they started school, but that won't work. It's really hard to find a job that allows me to get them on and off the bus. And, if they get sick, you gotta get them from school. So, I'm doing it all over again, but with my friend's kids. I love staying home and am very glad that you are giving it a shot! My only advice is this: you are NOT superwoman. The house will always be there to clean, but your kids won't always be there to cuddle! The time goes too fast to waste it on the house! (hugs)

The Bailie Clan said...

LOL!!!! WELCOME TO MOMMYHOOD!

Work is my escape! But I could never do it full time, even though it'd be easier.... it's not as rewarding.

You should feel proud and empowered doing what you're doing! :)

Nicole said...

I get those moments everyday when I wish I could escape but I love my kids and wouldn't trade it for anything! I'm so glad you can sit back relax and just be with your kids instead of having a job to return to loom over your head like the last time you were home.

Jessica said...

Some days are like that, yes. But then you have really good ones that make up for it. Just wait till you get to be home enjoying one of Sonya's first milestones.