Saturday, March 17, 2012

Discoveries in Nature

One of the places in Ozaukee County that we like to visit is the old Squire's Golf Course. They're doing a restoration project right now so it's pretty cool to see how the golf course is slowly transforming back into a natural habitat for birds, frogs, deer, and other animals. It looks like they've planted some trees and dug out a few ponds. Right now, they're in the middle of doing something with the dam. We'll have to check it all out again later in the spring/early summer when everything starts blooming. I definitely saw some type of cone flower seeds out in the field. We found lots of needs things -- and not just golf balls! :-) 

Exploring

:-)

My Caleb :-)

Sonya

A tree that tells stories

Deer Tracks

... and more deer tracks

Walking along the trail

Sonya is falling behind

Gotta play with the grass

Burdock -- sticky yet so beautiful

God definitely made this world

Hiding in the evergreens

Found a golf ball!

Looking for a good piece of grass to pick

Can't recall what weed this is

Caleb said this cloud looked like a dragon!

Tim and Caleb

Michelle and the kids

Another one....

Michelle, Tim, and Sonya
(Caleb is a pretty good photographer!)

Empty Milkweed Pods

Milkweed Seeds

More milkweed

One of the ponds

A miniature look out tower

Farmland -- photo taken from the tower

The contrast of the red bushes and the brown looked so much cooler in person
-- I promise!

A birdhouse along the trail
(There was a bluebird on it, but the kids scared it away before I snapped a photo)


If you have a weak stomach, you may want to skip the next few photos. We found the bone remains of a dead fawn. At first I was grossed out, but then thought it was kind of cool since you don't just see that every day. So of course I took some pictures!

Deer hoof and leg bones

Skull, vertebrae, and ribs

Up close of the skull

Another leg and some fur


Walking back towards the car again

They're so sweet together

Some sort of animal print -- coyote? fox?

Caleb posing by the trees

I'm guessing something like cotton weed... not sure though

Rabbit bones

The old golf lodge

No comments: