Yesterday, Sonya wasn't quite herself. She was pretty content for the most part, but very tired and worn out. Green globs of gook were stuck on the inside corners of her eyes. Her dinner remained untouched. Normally she loves her carbs. We had waffles and she wanted nothing to do with them. At snack time, I tried to give her some applesauce and goldfish. Sonya just swatted the spoon away from her face and took a little nibble of the goldfish. When she didn't want that, I knew she wasn't feeling good. As I began to unbuckle her high chair, she puked all over herself. Tim helped clean her up while I finished tucking Caleb into bed.
Once we got new pajamas on her, I told Tim to find a bucket in case Sonya needed to puke again. He was skeptical, thinking we'd never get her to do it in there. Well, good thing I went with my instincts! I heard that gurgling in her stomach and held her over the pail as she puked yet again. She only got a little on herself this time, but still needed a new set of pajamas. My poor little girl! We got the bucket cleaned out and clean clothes on her so I tried nursing her. She dozed off for a little bit and then woke up suddenly as she puked once more into the bucket. I just cuddled her and rocked her until she fell asleep and knew she wasn't going to get sick again. Then, I put her to bed.
This was my first time really dealing with puke as a mother. Caleb has thrown up like twice since he's been born; once in his bed and once in the toilet since he was old enough to walk/run to the bathroom. For my little girl (almost one year old) to be sick like this, I feel so helpless.
Luckily, I only had to get up with her once during the night. I wasn't sure if she'd puke again, but nursed her anyway since she seemed a little hungry. Thank goodness she fell right back to sleep for me and slept until morning. I chose to keep Caleb home from school today so as not to disturb Sonya's sleep and to keep the flu germs from spreading. He was pretty disappointed and wanted to go! In fact, he got dressed right away and then the next thing I knew was that he had his jacket, mittens, and backpack on all ready to go. He said, “I’m just going to walk to school because I don’t know how to drive yet. I’ll stay on the sidewalks and will be careful crossing the street so I don’t get hit by any cars.” Let’s just say that he was so adamant on going, I had to bribe him with a Pop Tart so he wouldn't go out in the snow and start the 3 mile trek on his own. Such a funny little dude.
Well, I'm glad we decided to play hooky. Sonya puked one more time this morning and has been on and off sleeping all day. She did eat a little yogurt for lunch though so that was a bit of an improvement. Caleb and I worked on predictions today since his class was studying groundhogs and shadows. We set up the halogen light in a dark area and found different options to make shadows on the wall. Caleb predicts that the groundhog will see his shadow tomorrow. :-)
Hope everyone out there is able to stay healthy... and warm!!! I'm so glad we have lots of movies and plenty of food so we don't have to go out for the next couple of days.
3 comments:
LOL!!!!! Caleb is too funny! I love it!
As for little Sonya.... poor thing! I'm so sorry for you both! No fun at all! I remember Ashlee getting ill and it's the worst thing ever when they're that young, because yes..you just sit there and watch (or so it feels).... You can't get them to run, or run them to the bathroom..It just is what it is... blah!!!
I don't know if you know this...but anything dairy would be super hard on the wee belly. Try the B-R-A-T diet... well, try crackers first, and if that works, then do Bananas, Rice, Applesauce and PLAIN Toast.... :)
Good luck tonight and tomorrow! :)
Thanks! I'm very familiar with the BRAT diet. lol.. Caleb had diarrhea for a month once. The doc said that yogurt is good for diarrhea which Sonya now has instead of the puking. So I let her have a little bit at lunch just to see how she'd do since she hadn't thrown up since 8am and wasn't eating the toast and saltines I gave her. Normally I'd try and steer clear of dairy too, but poor girl needed something in her tum tum and she LOVES yogurt.
Your stories take me back to when my kids were little. I love to hear them.
It's so hard when babies are sick. Levi is sick right now as well, and this Grammy wants to be there to snuggle him! But as I told K, lots of babies have fevers, lots of babies get sick. This too shall pass!
I love the little lesson you did with Caleb. You are such a good mommy!
Post a Comment