When I was living in Costa Rica for a semester during college, I pretty much lived out of my suitcase. If it didn't fit in my luggage, I really didn't need it. It was so liberating to live in such a simple manner. When I did my rural stay for two weeks, I went without a computer/access to Internet for the entire time. I didn't even miss it! Now, I feel like I'm glued to my computer just to stay in touch with people. Maybe I should clean out more than the closets in my apartment and reevaluate what it is that is truly important.... and maybe humble myself once again.
Saturday, January 8, 2011
Cleaning out the Closets
We've been trying to clean out our closets and get rid of anything we haven't used in a while or that we plain old don't need anymore. It's hard to part with material items. Part of it is that I'm a pack rat and always want to save for a rainy day. Who knows when we'll need this or that? Another part of me is relieved to get rid of all the clutter in our apartment. It'll make it a lot easier when the time comes to move into a house. Although... once we have a house, we'll have more room for our treasures junk. I think the hardest part of declutterizing (I just made up that word if it's not one already) is that I'm stuck on the monetary value of what we're "losing." I have a difficult time knowing that we spent x amount of dollars on something and now we're going to give it to St. Vincent DePaul or sell it for significantly less than we spent. I guess it's God's way of humbling me and making me realize that the things I truly need are not of this world.
When I was living in Costa Rica for a semester during college, I pretty much lived out of my suitcase. If it didn't fit in my luggage, I really didn't need it. It was so liberating to live in such a simple manner. When I did my rural stay for two weeks, I went without a computer/access to Internet for the entire time. I didn't even miss it! Now, I feel like I'm glued to my computer just to stay in touch with people. Maybe I should clean out more than the closets in my apartment and reevaluate what it is that is truly important.... and maybe humble myself once again.
When I was living in Costa Rica for a semester during college, I pretty much lived out of my suitcase. If it didn't fit in my luggage, I really didn't need it. It was so liberating to live in such a simple manner. When I did my rural stay for two weeks, I went without a computer/access to Internet for the entire time. I didn't even miss it! Now, I feel like I'm glued to my computer just to stay in touch with people. Maybe I should clean out more than the closets in my apartment and reevaluate what it is that is truly important.... and maybe humble myself once again.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
lol! I have to giggle because I'm totally the opposite! I'm CONSTANTLY looking in closests for things to toss. I hate clutter! :) If we don't use something for 6 months or so, I toss it... : /
It feels good - for sure!
Post a Comment